DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My county in upstate NY has taken a real beating from storms over the past 3 years. I've had some teams do cleanup which has resulted in about 5 ten foot high piles of wood debris. Initially my local FD said they'd do a controlled burn but then changed their policy and cancelled it.

Today I built a firepit about 15x15' and 5' high. I'm sure this will be great for wood nearby the pit but getting piles 500 ft away into the pit seems unlikely.

Not sure if there's any solution to this but figured I'd throw it out anyway.

·
Super Moderator
22,179 Posts
How urban are you. Here can burn in rural areas if you notify the FD ahead of time so they won't dispatch if they get any calls.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,396 Posts
Advertise it as FREE FIREWOOD, let them cut and haul it away.

You win, get rid of the clutter, they get free wood, for the labor.

Any leftovers can then be hauled to the pit and burned.

Get a permit to burn, or get harassed by the county.

ED

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Advertise it as FREE FIREWOOD, let them cut and haul it away.

You win, get rid of the clutter, they get free wood, for the labor.

Any leftovers can then be hauled to the pit and burned.

Get a permit to burn, or get harassed by the county.

ED

No one's wanting this, it is way down a steep hill off a very narrow dirt road, besides which the entire county is covered in free wood with easier access. I tried this...no interest.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
They adopted regulations here that make it difficult to burn anything, like if it gets away or the FD has to come out for any reason I would have to pay a ridiculous amount.

So, yes I can burn, but I have to sign that I will be billed "IF".

I haul mine to their designated area and let them handle it, or chip.

Bud

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,960 Posts
Today I built a firepit about 15x15' and 5' high.
Ayuh,....... King coumo issued a decree a few years back, that basically bans outdoor burnin', with a few exceptions, 'n only in a Dec approved fire pit,.....

I suggest you go to the NY Dec website to look over the fire pit requirements, as I don't believe yer's qualifies,......

I got a ticket a few years ago, for burnin' lilac trimmings,......
My fire pit qualified, 'n the lilac waste was alright, but the Dec cop found a nail, 'n abit of glass in the pit, under the ashes,......
With the nails, 'n glass he assumed I was burnin' dimensional lumber, which is now Illegal,......

I explained the pit had been in use for nearly 100 years, but he didn't care,........
Besides that, it was May 15th, the end of the spring time burn ban, to which he said, "No, it ends at midnight",......

I went to court, contested the ticket, 'n the Judge tossed it out,......
But of course, I still had to pay a "court fee", which was more than the possible fine,.......

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ayuh,....... King coumo issued a decree a few years back, that basically bans outdoor burnin', with a few exceptions, 'n only in a Dec approved fire pit,.....

I suggest you go to the NY Dec website to look over the fire pit requirements, as I don't believe yer's qualifies,......

I got a ticket a few years ago, for burnin' lilac trimmings,......
My fire pit qualified, 'n the lilac waste was alright, but the Dec cop found a nail, 'n abit of glass in the pit, under the ashes,......
With the nails, 'n glass he assumed I was burnin' dimensional lumber, which is now Illegal,......

I explained the pit had been in use for nearly 100 years, but he didn't care,........
Besides that, it was May 15th, the end of the spring time burn ban, to which he said, "No, it ends at midnight",......

I went to court, contested the ticket, 'n the Judge tossed it out,......
But of course, I still had to pay a "court fee", which was more than the possible fine,.......

The DEC rules for areas of low population are not so bad, but you are limited to brush under 16" and 8'. That's all ok by me. Your story though does not surprise me and all it takes is a neighbor who loves to create trouble and I definitely have that. I'll just notify everyone from the FD to the town hall to my neighbors and go slow. The ban is coming right up so I may still be able to find a fire dept person to assist.

FYI a friend always kept a cooked ham, corn and other BBQ props like a grill near the fire pit to be prepared for arrival of police. Believe it or not it worked.

"The DEC cop found a nail". Unreal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be somewhat on the safe side of burning, consider making brush piles that can be covered with a tarp then on a morning with frost, dew or even possibly light mist ( usually no wind in those weather conditions ) the dried brush pile can be burned.

You're saying keep a pile of brush dry and burn it while everything around it is wettish?

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
You're saying keep a pile of brush dry and burn it while everything around it is wettish?
Exactly

Once it has had the original moisture dried out, which I suspect yours is in good condition in that respect, and a few days without rain dew or frost etc. just cover it and wait for the next opportunity of a moisture laden air mass morning.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
DEC and the NYS Building Code control open burning. Small ceremonial or recreational fires are allowed. Mass burning of debris is not (except limited farm burns). That said, if the people charged with enforcement say burning it is ok, light it up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
DEC and the NYS Building Code control open burning. Small ceremonial or recreational fires are allowed. Mass burning of debris is not (except limited farm burns). That said, if the people charged with enforcement say burning it is ok, light it up.

From DEC website:

"In towns with a total population less than 20,000, you may burn tree limbs with attached leaves. The limbs must be less than 6 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length (also referred to as brush). However, this is not allowed from March 16 through May 14 due to the increased risk of wildfires. The practice of burning large piles of brush collected from local residents at town or county transfer sites is prohibited. The individual landowners in small towns may burn their brush on site as discussed above".

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
From DEC website:

you may burn tree limbs with attached leaves.

And we must expect the folks making codes to insert special provisions. This tells me they may be speaking of Christmas trees that mostly retain their dry leaves because evidently they have never attempted burning deciduous trees with leaves as we know those as green.:biggrin2:

Also I failed to mention earlier about an accelerated burn when I'm impatient. My lawn tractor has hi-lift blades and gives a nice shot of X-tra air on a clam morning but in the case of the OP's brush distance a gas powered or battery leaf blower also works well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've found the solution to this problem and just wanted to share here.

1) clear entire area of brush, grass, trees and other growth.
2) raze to dirt
3) pave over entire forest
4) notify relevant authorities and neighbors
5) proceed with cautious use of burn pit

:)

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Like I said, NYC Code and DEC control open burning and mass burning is not allowed. Thank you for proving my point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts