DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to install stone veneer on top of wood siding - wainscoting, manufacturer - culturedstone.

The professional installer said he'll do it on top of siding. While the lady at the supply store said it'll be better to remove the siding.

The siding is in fair condition (> 20 years old) except for a couple of strips.

The stone that I'll be installing is country ledgestone - if that matters in installation choices.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Contacting the manufacturer should get you the approved installation instructions for your application.
They might be on their website.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe it's better to remove the timber siding. Its 20 yo and you're going to install the stone veneer on it? normally, stone veneer lasts for 25 -50 years easily but what about your old timber siding under. will it last another 5-10-15years? I'm not sure.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
How could the stone work get properly flashed into the siding if the old siding is left on??

Better make a few more calls----I never heard of that method of installation.

·
Too Old
345 Posts
Sticking it to the siding is not a proper installation method.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,874 Posts
The only kind of siding I could see staying on and working realistically is something like T-111, or of course real brick. As Mike stated, correct flashing will be complicated, if at all possible. Don't fall for the old mis-conception that "Lick & Stick" stone is water-proof

1 - 7 of 7 Posts