DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1889 old hard plaster kitchen ceiling. Some idiot stomped painton it and it has peeled in places. How do I get the remaining stuck paint off the ceiling without damaging the hard plaster ceiling?

Also, my basement stairs project of five months is in the trim board stage thanks to those who helped. I ended up cutting 68 inches out of my kitchen floor, double bracing it and building a table over the hole. Then I took plywood and triple clear coated it to look like gold. Then I placed pine polyurethaned trim all around it.

Thanks. You guys really helped.

·
retired painter
11,939 Posts
I suspect latex paint was applied directly to oil base enamel and that is why it's peeling. Normally you'd sand, skim coat as needed, prime and paint but with the age of the house indicates that there is lead base paint on the ceiling/walls. It might be covered with several layers of non lead based paint. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

Probably the best bet would be to scrape off what it loose and apply an oil base primer.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Kitchen ceiling, and walls, etc, is also contaminated with cooking smoke and oil. All house surfaces build dust and grime. Add that to incompatible and maybe really low quality paint. What you have maybe oil and latex paints that were esp problematic. Modern acrylic has better adhesion but nothing beats a clean, solid surface. Deteriorated plaster or drywall, usually with leaked water, are other reasons. If above is an attic, check the other side of the ceiling.

I came across a few peeling paints. Scrape, fill, sand, prime and paint works on some and does not work on some. If you scrape and paint, then you hope unscraped part will not peel. Sure thing is to cover the whole surface with a thin drywall and start over.

·
Residential Designer
1,487 Posts
I have a 1889 old hard plaster kitchen ceiling. Some idiot stomped painton it and it has peeled in places. How do I get the remaining stuck paint off the ceiling without damaging the hard plaster ceiling?

Also, my basement stairs project of five months is in the trim board stage thanks to those who helped. I ended up cutting 68 inches out of my kitchen floor, double bracing it and building a table over the hole. Then I took plywood and triple clear coated it to look like gold. Then I placed pine polyurethaned trim all around it.

Thanks. You guys really helped.
If you did not take pictures and share them here then it did not happen.

Andy.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
use a 5' ryobi orbital sander with 40 grit discs. wear a mask

·
retired painter
11,939 Posts
I'd be leery of sanding on something that old. There is lead paint there somewhere! While a mask might protect you while the sanding is being done - what about all the dust you create, especially if you aren't able to contain it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts