DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled up a carpeted area to go back to the old hardwood floors. Found where the previous owner put down sticky back tiles. Needless to say the sticky is still on the nice hardwood floor. Does anyone have any ideas what to reduce the stickiness prior to sanding?

Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
The glue will have to be removed before sanding. If not it will gum the sandpaper up. I don't know of a chemical that will remove the glue without getting the floor too wet. Hopefully someone else will. Otherwise you will probably have to cover the floors or replace them.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
You could try some adhesive remover and a scrubbee but don't flood the floor with the juice. Paint it on with a brush then scrub it with the scrubbee then wipe it with a cloth with juice in it. Gonna take some time.:) May also get into and lift any prior finish that was applied earlier.:)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
i would try denatured alcohol or mineral spirits with plenty of ventilation. they will not hurt the floor. when putting poly down they recommend wiping the floors down with mineral spirits before the first coat .

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
"when putting poly down they recommend wiping the floors down with mineral spirits before the first coat ."

I assume only for oil-based polys?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts