DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lower my ceiling in my bedroom from 12 ft to 9 ft . It is an old building converted to condo's . The whole building/walls are steel studs.
I want to lower the ceiling for sound purposes . So my question is : Do i want to use wood to build a new ceiling or steel suds ? I am going to use resilient channel to , since the noise from above is mostly impact noise.
Any suggestions are welcome . thank you

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm not sure it matters which you use. Since it isn't a commercial building anymore, you aren't required to use steel, though they are probably lighter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
md2lgyk said:
I'm not sure it matters which you use. Since it isn't a commercial building anymore, you aren't required to use steel, though they are probably lighter.
Thanks for your reply .
The dilema I am facing is , I want to reduce the impact noise from the condo above me , so does using wood studs have more sound absorbing qualities versus using steel studs ?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Might be easier to do a suspended grid system. Whether that gid supports sheetrock of acoustical tiles is your choice, but hanging grid will likely be a little easier than framing a whole ceiling system. Plus by having it hung, the vibrations from the impact will be dissipated in the hang wires reather than amplified through the structurally attached framed ceiling. You can lay acoustical batt insulation above over the grid to help mitigate sound waves.

Armstrong is one manufacturer that sells both systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts