DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'd like to build a 12' x 14' steel pergola with 2"x6" beams. The total weight of the upper 12x14 rectangle is approximately 320 lbs. The two supports are about 45 lbs each and also 2x6's. The back of the rectangle would be anchored to the open garage structure behind the siding wall shown in the image. Some anchors would be bolted directly to existing studs and some to 2x6 blocking. The bottom of the angled 2x6 supports would be attached to the concrete garage foundation via Simpson brackets. The beams and all hardware are Fortress Building Products.

My question is whether this design will hold up. All you structural engineers out there please advise!

Thanks!

Rectangle Line Parallel Gas Kitchen appliance accessory
Rectangle Line Parallel Gas Kitchen appliance accessory

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,925 Posts
Might hold up. The local authority will want the supports to be on the front of the canopy and with the proper concrete footings installed.

What is the design wind load where you are? Where I live in Southern AZ it is 108 mph.

When I built my steel home, there were 26 pages of engineering calculations for my permit.
Everything from the footings to the walls and finally the roof. Most AHJ's will require a 3rd party licensed in your state structural engineer to stamp the drawings.

Personally I do not see the point of this unless you cover it.

·
Hammered Thumb
4,185 Posts
I'm going to say no. If in the wall, you placed a steel column at each end, which could counter this cantilever (either buried within a deep foundation or had a sufficient connection at the top of a deep foundation), and had all welded connections at the cantilever roof and angled brace, then yes.

·
Registered
11,086 Posts
Its probably more about what it is mounted to and how it is mounted.
320 pounds really isn't much.
Not sure how to calculate wind load on that, but at least is mostly open, but I suspect you are planning on additional coverings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts