DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have steel lintel that is supporting one layer of bricks and mortar topping on top of chimney that is rusty and cracking. If it is replaced is there some treatment or paint to the steel that will prevent this corrosion from returning with time? do these lintels come in stainless steel? what would be the recommended thickness of the lintel if the area is about 5.5 feet by 3 feet?
where is best place to purchase above?

TIA

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Post a picture of what you have now.
Makes no since to me to try and replace it now.
Wire brush, use rusty metal primer and repaint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right top of chimney. just has this plate with one layer of bricks and a patty of mortar on top of bricks. house built in 1982. chimney not really used. any recommendations , especially on type of plate or others?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
just one flue. what is best choice of chimney flue cover? a metal one? and (as you can see my knowledge is below limited) what exactly do you mean by demo?.
thanks
Take the top layer of bricks off of that plate, trying to salvage as many as you can without damaging, so that you can reuse. Then take the plate off. If able to get a scaffold up, easier to do then renting a lift.

Any local mason contractor that does fireplaces, can give you a bid on doing something different. Also they would do a flu inspection to see if you need to fix any problems in the liner.

Just grab a pencil and paper and sketch out a better design. Look around and see if there are any around where you live that you may want to use to give the house a fresh look.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Local Metal shop. This is something that it helps to always use local small businesses, because they love to show off their work to others. Plus it starts a great conversation with the neighbors when they ask who did the work.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
That was just some random place I found with a google search. I'm sure there is probably something local to you. As was mentioned a local metal shop could probably do something. Even a siding company with metal working tools could do it or recommend someone. Look at local fireplace shops as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.