DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have erected a pre-engineered steel building with a single slope (shed style) roof. We have some internal rooms we would like to frame out with steel. The rooms will ceilings that need to be 10' off the floor with some attic space above them. If this was wood I would know exactly how to frame it but I am not familiar enough with steel to design and build the walls and ceiling joists on my own. I'd like to find someone that can help me create list of materials so that I can do the construction myself. I'm happy to pay for this help if need be. We are in a small community and the few contractors we have that do steel framing are only interested in helping if they get the install work too.

Cheers,

Alan

·
Naildriver
18,619 Posts
Are you speaking of typical red iron construction? It may take an engineer to draw up plans with all the angles, etc. so someone can weld it all together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you speaking of typical red iron construction? It may take an engineer to draw up plans with all the angles, etc. so someone can weld it all together.
The structure of the building - Concrete, columns, rafters, roof, and external wall girts - are all engineered, permitted, and erected. I am only speaking of non weight bearing internal walls.

·
Naildriver
18,619 Posts
The rooms will ceilings that need to be 10' off the floor with some attic space above them.
This gave me the impression that they would bear weight. Normal steel studs are really too light to perform this duty. Is there a reason it is not to be wood framed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This gave me the impression that they would bear weight. Normal steel studs are really too light to perform this duty. Is there a reason it is not to be wood framed?
They will bear some weight but I know this can be done with common steel studs. No need for red iron, engineers, or welding.

I want to keep the framing in metal since the entire building is a metal structure.

·
retired framer
63,426 Posts
How big is this shed, is it or will it be insulated and heated what weight do you need it to take.

Can you post some pictures, walls sound easy enough.

·
Naildriver
18,619 Posts
I'm trying to understand what you are doing. For vertical studs, using metal studs is a good way to go. They will not be a substitute for regular steel or wooden joisting. They will not span and hold weight when laid on their side.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Check the ClarkDietrich catalog for Steel Framing.
You can do the same thing with Steel Studs that you do with wood studs.
You can get Structural steel studs & joist to build anything that can be built out of wood.
Design your walls as if they were wood than check the catalog it will direct you how to do the same with steel studs.
You can get all the studs, track, bridging , clips & info on how to construct headers, floor systems & roof trusses.

·
Naildriver
18,619 Posts
OK, we're talking "structural" steel and not common steel studs for joisting. $$, but doable as long as bearing specs are followed.

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update for all of you: Clark-Dietrich has been great. We traded a few emails and a phone call to make sure they completely understood what my needs are and their technical support is designing my interior framing for me. What a great company!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.