DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand how people are getting away with stealing electricity? Can someone tell me exactly how they are doing it without being electrocuted?

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,335 Posts
Wait til you neighbor goes to work (or to bed). Run an extension cord to his house and plug into his outside receptacle. Make sure it is GFCI.

Seriously no one is going to abet a crime (or not many of us).

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
im actually wondering how they are bypassing the meter and how its done. just curious
You wouldn't really want us to tell you how to break the law, would you?

let's just say; it can be done and if a person screws up while doing it; they can get electrocuted. When they get caught, they can go to jail.

·
Super Moderator
22,435 Posts
They are not being safe and connecting to the conductor before the meter. I've seen pictures of holes in basement walls to tap the underground feeder, taps on the weatherhead for above ground services, meters that have been removed and bypassed in various ways.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Install solar panels and "steal" all you want to from the sun. It won't mind one bit!

DM

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
My guess is some kind of vampire tap type connectors. I would NOT do it. Maybe someone is familiar with the charges that can be laid. I know it's high up there.

You can theoricly touch a hot cable one at a time without getting shocked, but it's a huge risk. You have nearly unlimited amps available to you. you only need 1 to kill you.

Edit: I just realized the pun in "charges being laid".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its relatively easy until the electric company finds out and charges you a buttload of money and then begins putting locks on your meter box.

I highly advice just finding a way to get your electricity on in a legit matter. They may give a VERY firm warning the first time, but you do it 2 or 3 times and your going to be looking at heavy duty trouble.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Here is how to do it legally. You will need a kite, an antique door key, some wire and and a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Years ago I managed a mobile home park with many rental units. Each had their own electric meter via the park rand the park billed the tenant directly. In the case of non payment we would disconnect service via a locked box. One one occasion I saw that a disconnected unit/tenant had lights on and stereo playing. They had made a double male extension cord and plugged into a common area light socket to an outlet in their unit.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I hate to touch this topic because it borders on inquiring about how to do something illegal, but what I want to say is that if you're asking how it is done safely, my response is that it isn't done safely.

Last year there was a round of house fires in Detroit. Electricity theft is often something that leads to house fires and sometimes deaths or injuries to the person attempting the hookup, although when I searched for stories the more prevalent theme seemed to be death of copper thieves.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/03/detroit-house-children-kills/
http://www.dipnoid.com/2009/06/man-electrocuted-stealing-electricity-to-power-meth-lab/
http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?7369-Clowncil-blasts-fire-and-police

60,000 illegal electrical hookups in Detroit.:no:

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Its relatively easy until the electric company finds out and charges you a buttload of money and then begins putting locks on your meter box.

I highly advice just finding a way to get your electricity on in a legit matter. They may give a VERY firm warning the first time, but you do it 2 or 3 times and your going to be looking at heavy duty trouble.
POCO aside, stealing electric can result in criminal charges of theft.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Not their "brightest" moment, eh?
(well, ok, maybe for a SECOND they were bright....)
It's sad the lengths people will go to be dishonest.

DM

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts

I think that is ready. :eek:

And LOL at the second article. Even if this guy had succeeded, what is he going to do with 7000 or more volts? That's 58 light bulbs in serries. I guess it's doable lol.

·
licensed electrician
45 Posts
lol a metal ladder and jumper cables...genius. Anyways dude if you think were gonna tell you step by step instructions on how it's done, your an idiot. On second thought, get a 30' metal ladder and some jumper cables. When you get that stuff, let us know, we'll tell you what to do next.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
I think we're being hypocritical here. :laughing: After all, we give advice to the folks growing pot in their basement all the time - I mean people with questions about full spectrum lighting, dehumidifying and hydroponics.

And WOW that picture is GROSS!

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I think the question was how is it done with out electrocution ?
If things are the same in USA as to in Australia then it goes like this -
The supply comes into the board and first goes to the main switch.
From there it goes to the meter,
And from meter goes to breakers.

So if you first turn off the main switch,
Then you can remove the wire that goes to the meter,
And insert a wire that goes to the breakers,
And if the main switch is still off,
Then this side of the switch is not live.

NOT THAT I AM ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO DO THIS !
CAUSE YOU WILL GET CAUGHT !

but on a technical level that is how it is done.
I have seen a few cases of this happening.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts