DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
600' long hill with a steep grade the entire distance. 900' between the pull points. I wasn't looking foward to this part. :(

P5120023.jpg

P5120018.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
You'll need a shop vac, some cotton balls, and string... Tie the cotton balls to the string. Put them in one end of the conduit. At the other end of the conduit shove your shop vac hose. The vacuum will pull the string right through and then you can use it to pull your wires.

:jester::jester::jester::jester:

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
What size service wire and conduit are you running. Is the second conduit for communications cable?

A hill like that a heavy ball with string could be used to get your pull rope in there. LOL

·
JOATMON
15,950 Posts
There is a reason the wire pull lube comes in 5 gallon buckets....

You won't be using a pull string....you will be using a rope....

I would pull from top to bottom....get what little help you can from gravity....

And you can rent a motorized pull wheel....makes the job a lot easier....

Is this going to be 220 single phase? At that distance, it would almost justify a higher voltage (4160) with a step down xfomer at you the point of use.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
That seems like too long of a run for 240V to be cost effective.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Looks like fun,what size it your duct?
In this long of a pull bigger is easier.
Yea and rent a tugger.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
You'll need a shop vac, some cotton balls, and string... Tie the cotton balls to the string. Put them in one end of the conduit. At the other end of the conduit shove your shop vac hose. The vacuum will pull the string right through and then you can use it to pull your wires.

:jester::jester::jester::jester:
Cotton balls? They make these...

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
600' long hill with a steep grade the entire distance. 900' between the pull points. I wasn't looking foward to this part. :(

I did 400' of (3)4/0 CU and (1) #4 CU recently without any pull boxes. Big mistake. I would have put a few pull points atleast. Any 90's in the run? Good luck you'll need it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wouldn't bury your ducts completely until you are done pulling your wire.
Should we tell him about static build up or let him find out on his own?

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
I keep thinking 900 ft. Wow. That wire lube at the beginning won't be there at 150 ft. Then he won't need a tugger, he will need a tanker. I really think he needs a few manholes. Just sayin

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
I keep thinking 900 ft. Wow. That wire lube at the beginning won't be there at 150 ft. Then he won't need a tugger, he will need a tanker. I really think he needs a few manholes. Just sayin
I think he needs to grab a beer and watch the POCO guys pull in their primary. His job's done, I think.

Reactions: stickboy1375

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
No sand installed in trench? We always run 3 conduits; power, phone, catv...
Usually one oversized conduit is plenty for communications cable's with an extra pull string left.

I think he needs to grab a beer and watch the POCO guys pull in their primary. His job's done, I think.
Don't they require a pull string to get their pulling cable in there?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts