DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to work out a good solution for a very low freestanding deck. This is a small deck functioning as a stoop for a rear door. There is a small roof overhead that keeps the area pretty dry. I would much prefer to keep it freestanding and avoid the headaches of properly flashing in a ledger, but perhaps I am outsmarting myself.

My plan was to pour new footings near the existing foundation down to undisturbed soil. It's a low crawlspace, so not that far down. I end up without enough height to use a standoff base with a post, so I was planning to just shim the beam out with plywood and put it straight into a post base like the Simpson ABA44Z.

Problem is, I'm not sure I'll actually be able to install fastners on the post base, into the beam, because of limited clearance to the house. Cant swing a hammer, or even get an angle driver in there, in the gap. I don't think you can bolt the post bases down once lumber has been run through them?

Best idea I had was to pre-drill holes for Simpson screws, get them started by hand, then use a wrench to snug them down. It'd suck, but it only has to be done on two bases.

I could add another piece of blocking to get 4" of clearance, but that's not a huge improvement in tool clearance.

·
Registered
517 Posts
it depends on how much uplift you need but you can use the hardware below with 16d connector nails the down side is you have to cast in place so you will need to be accurate in placement.

Mini palm nailers fit in some pretty tight spaces. Either that or turn your hammer side ways and plan on some sore fore arms.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
How about a real picture of the area your trying to do this.
A low deck is almost never a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.