DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Genie Powermax door openers for the 7 years we've lived here and after a storm last week where the generator ran, my side no longer worked. It was dead. We've been having intermittent issues with my wife's side as well, so I decided to "upgrade" both of them to new Craftsman MyQ openers (since I have MyQ on my detached garage). This morning, the power did something I've never seen where the voltage clearly dipped very low numerous times for the whole time until the generator transferred power. Then power came back. This cycle occurred a couple times. Initially the new openers still worked, but now they are dead. I literally installed them yesterday. I'll be doing an exchange at Lowes, but now I think I am going to remove my garage circuit from the generator panel because of the power.

We have an older (2005-2006? maybe) Generac Guardian 15kW. I put my fluke on the outlet and get a fluctuating 119-122vac but 57-58Hz, and this is with the house load at steady state. Is this normal? While I agree that whatever the power did was abnormal, and this generator output possibly abnormal as well, shouldn't the garage openers be able to sustain that? No other house electronics are affected by it.

If anyone has any tips on how to clean up that power (without scrapping the generator and putting in a new one), I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Take the garage door openers off the generator circuit. Then exchange your openers for a Liftmaster model with a backup battery if you're worried about the power going out.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
20 Posts
Generator seems to be working. Your problem is with the bad power from POCO I would have a good electrician check this out.dimming of lights power off and on??? This is almost always loose connections and very dangerous Of coarse it could have been just bad power from POCO.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Check the voltage from the ground to the neutral at some receptacle. Monitor it for a while with the fluke set for low voltage ac. No voltage is a good sign and that's an easy check to make.

<quote>
" I put my fluke on the outlet and get a fluctuating 119-122vac but 57-58Hz, and this is with the house load at steady state. Is this normal?"<end quote>

It depends on the time element of the fluctuations... if it is wiggling quickly from second to second, it would be a bad sign. If it's over a period of several seconds, that's normal regulation. There is always some variation in motor speed and the fact that the frequency is varying bears that out. I think your generator is OK.

It does sound like bad power from the POCO so give them a call... it's a free check.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Power restored and garage openers back on. I guess they didn't like the somewhat-dirty power, although I need to fix the issue. I was paging through the manual and I need to adjust the governor and voltage regulator. Pretty simple task and should get me back in range.

As for the loose connections, not an issue. I verified that when working in the panel last year. Good thought, though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just fired it up and put my better fluke (787) on the actual terminals at the generator. 53.5-54.0Hz (no load). That seems awfully low. The manual for these V-twin generators (Model 52431) say that there is no governor adjustment. Does that mean my frequency is set or is there an alternate means to adjustment on these that the manual doesn't wish you to know about?

The voltage was also low (232-234vac), but I was able to bump that up slightly.

·
Maintenance / Locksmith
272 Posts
Just fired it up and put my better fluke (787) on the actual terminals at the generator. 53.5-54.0Hz (no load). That seems awfully low. The manual for these V-twin generators (Model 52431) say that there is no governor adjustment. Does that mean my frequency is set or is there an alternate means to adjustment on these that the manual doesn't wish you to know about?

The voltage was also low (232-234vac), but I was able to bump that up slightly.

Ziller Electric runs a Generac forum. Go to their site and find the forum. Many Pros that can assist with Generac.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts