DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has any input into standard home bar sizes. I am building a very simple frame for my project.

I am building the front (patron side) 43" tall which appears to be standard.

I am not sure how wide my server side ledge should be or how high off the ground it should be. I do want to put a small sink in as well.

Here is my frame. I plan of putting horizontal piecs off of each stud for my sever side shelf to sit on and then build it down to the ground on the other side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
I don’t know that there is a standard bar length. How much room do you have to work with? How many seats do you want? I don’t use any horizontal pieces. You do need a return wall on the ends if it’s open on both sides. The top including server shelf is done with double ¾” plywood (at least that's how I do it) assuming you don’t have a large slab of something you’re using for the top.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the length I am after. The length will be what it is.

It's the height and depth of the server side counter that I am concerned with.

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
43” is a good finish height, 24” on the top is usually plenty but you can go more. In a commercial setting the bartender usually has 24” of sinks and coolers under the bar so a top over 2’ can make it difficult for them to reach over and clean up your spilled drink. A 10-12” overhang on the patron side is comfortable. Server height is usually ¾” under bar height and about 5-6” deep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts