DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mechanical Engineer
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to insulate the walls, and I'd like to do the under side of the stair cases too. Why? The first floor stairs get cold air from below by a side entry door to the house.

The attic stairs get cold air from, ... uh, ... yeah.... the attic. So I'd like to keep the warm air from going up through the treads and risers. I was thinking of just running a 2x on either side of the stair case to give me something to secure the insulation. I was planning on just stapling the vapor barrier to the stud on each side, and the one in the middle.

The bottom side of the first floor stairs look exactly the same. Imagine that! :huh:

·
1,233 Posts
Here's the working URL

What's the question? How to insulate? That application begs for spray on, insulation AND vapor barrier.

·
Mechanical Engineer
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so much whether to insulate, but what kind of support for the insulation. I'm putting batts everywhere else, and I'm not going to put spray in for this small space. I just want to throw some boards up there so I can staple the batts in place and keep them from falling. What's the best way to do that?

·
1,233 Posts
Is it going to be visible when finished...and what's the dimensions from side to middle?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Cut foamboard for a tight fit between the framing.The old studs should be about 2" deep. Then you put the sheetrock over the top. If both sides are heated, you don't need a vapor barrier.
Ron

·
Mechanical Engineer
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it going to be visible when finished...and what's the dimensions from side to middle?
No, I plan to cover with drywall. The middle stud isn't securely attached so I can move it easy to get 15" spans. There aren't any studs on the outsides. Those are the stringers for the stairs... there are two 1x's on each side.

·
Mechanical Engineer
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cut foamboard for a tight fit between the framing.The old studs should be about 2" deep. Then you put the sheetrock over the top. If both sides are heated, you don't need a vapor barrier.
Ron
There aren't any studs on the outsides. I was wondering if I could set some 2x's on edge along each stringer and face nail to the studs on either side. Then I have plenty of depth for R-13 insulation. The attic (unheated) is above, and heated rooms on either side. Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I have a similar setup. Full staircase up into the attic. I made two hinged doors over the opening and screwed 3" of polyisocyanurate to the back. A one step solution. You would need to insulate the stair bottom, the two side walls and put an insulated door at the bottom of the stairs to seal off the space.
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts