DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;
I've removed old carpeting from some stairs and want to resurface with engineered hardwood. Several YouTube videos show that the tread overhang should be cut back so that the tread is flush with the riser. Why is that necessary since it is extra work?
Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Remove the carpet and cut off the overhang. If you leave this overhang in place it will show under the overhang of the new tread that you will be placing on top of it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So it's a visual and not a structural/fit issue?
Well it could become a structural/fit issue if you were to put an overlay tread on top of it. The overhang extends between 3/4" and 1 1/4" beyond the face of the riser. If you didn't cut the overhang off the sub-tread (board under the carpet) it might require the overlay tread nosing to extend an excessive amount in order to fit over the sub-tread overhang. It's not hard to cut the sub-tread overhang flush with the riser. Some use a circular saw. I prefer a jig saw and oscillating multi tool.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
It is required by code to have a Nosing on stairs. At least where I am.
I would not be cutting the Nosing off the treads.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I hope I didn't cause confusion. When I said to cut off the sub-tread overhang I was assuming that the new tread that would be placed on top of this sub-tread would have an overhang.
FWIW, the national stair building code says that a nosing is not required on treads 11 inches or wider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts