DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stair tread materials

1081 Views 84 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  skyking1
We are going with LVP flooring and it is not suitable for the treads. Looking for tread and also the two landings, suggestions of a durable low maintenance solution.
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Post a pic with a tape measure on the tile treads there. If they are over 11" I'll apologize for ruffling your feathers over a pinterest picture you keep defending for some reason.

Who said they passed inspection, people diy (and contractors) build code violations all the time. There are no inspections and no inspectors in those cases.

BTW those tiles in your pic (the floor tiles not the tread tiles) are 18x36" that should be enough of a point of reference for you.
Shut it. The OP asked for ideas and I posted one. You(as well as other forum members) are the ones who started attacking my post while completely ignoring a second post that also uses tile for the treads. There were no $hitty responses to his picture were there? You posted your dumb reply because you wanted attention, now you got it then deal with it.

You can perform all of the mental gymnastics you want to try and make your response seem valid. It ain't and you know it. Tile, wood, glass, and stone are all options for the OP to consider in his design choice for his staircase. Pick one, design your specs, and build it to code. Don't waste my time with rhetorical retorts on what you guess something might be that doesn't add squat to this conversation.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I have tiles on the stairs going down to my basement.

I had concerns about stability too. But I suppose if the substrate is sound, the tile will hold up. Just the same, I made sure the tile size was such that there would be a few grout lines in there. I was looking at one tile that was really beautiful, and could have gone across as one piece, but I didn't have the guts to put one big tile per tread. Basement has my shop, so I knew I would have some heavy machinery going down those stairs.

So far, so good.
View attachment 728073
It looks like you have a metal edge detail on that?

I ordered that nonslip treatment for tile today to give it a try. I have some small entry tile and some 12x12 ceramic in the bathroom.

· Registered
12,008 Posts
It looks like you have a metal edge detail on that?
I ordered that nonslip treatment for tile today to give it a try. I have some small entry tile and some 12x12 ceramic in the bathroom.
Actually, the nose profile is quite tall. Tile size ended up that I would either have one full tile plus a 1" slice of tile on the riser, or one tile plus an extra-tall nose profile. But the big nose profile possibly helps safety by making the step edge more visible.

It's not slippery. You fall down a lot in your bathroom ?

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Actually, the nose profile is quite tall. Tile size ended up that I would either have one full tile plus a 1" slice of tile on the riser, or one tile plus an extra-tall nose profile. But the big nose profile possibly helps safety by making the step edge more visible.

It's not slippery. You fall down a lot in your bathroom ?
My wife is not steady on any slick situation. can you shoot a picture of that detail?

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
This is an extreme example of bad stairs, at my brother's condo. It was built in Seattle in 1999 I think. You can go up them OK, but down sucks hard.
Mondo foot overhang.
Footwear Jeans Trousers Leg Wood

I can afford the space to not build stupid stairs.
The wrap around staircase to upstairs has 7.06" risers, and will have 11" to 12" runs. We will go cruise a bunch of stairs and measure to get happy with that number.
The basement stairs have 7.2" risers, and 15 total risers or 14 runs in a straight run. Same deal on the runs there, I have the room.
At 15 runs the general consensus of good stair design suggests a landing, this is just under that so I get straight stairs to take trim etc up from saws in the basement, with enough turning room both up and down for it.

· Registered
9,016 Posts
What👏are👏you👏talking👏about?
When I traced the responses back, it seems this stems from Post #50, where you wrote "The stairs in the example picture look like some type of glass material. That's not possible or allowable!"

It seems there was a separate argument over the code compliance of the tiled stairs pictured in Post # 20. Something about the lack of a nosing/overhang.

· Registered
173 Posts
Are these big enough? Probably not because you can tell they were built by a rogue DIYer. If you look at the flower bush in the back as a reference you can tell the steps are not up to any code. They won't last if they are next to a BBQ grill.

Plant Road surface Asphalt Flooring Grass

· Registered
173 Posts
You seem to have a giant chip on your shoulder.
Yeah, I figured that's what you were going to do to save face.

No chip on my shoulder. I can't stand when people stalk me in order to get my attention but get their fragile egos hurt when I respond in a manner they don't like.

Your post on this thread was to go straight for the jugular which tells me that your motive for posting has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You haven't offered up any ideas or suggestions, just sitting around hoping I will post so you can attack mine without any real arguments.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts