DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stair tread materials

1081 Views 84 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  skyking1
We are going with LVP flooring and it is not suitable for the treads. Looking for tread and also the two landings, suggestions of a durable low maintenance solution.
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I would not have treads less than 11" deep ever, just saying. I will measure and model treads at ~12" deep, maybe 11.5"

Short treads are the bane of the human body when going downstairs. Your knee pivot ends up way past your foot and it's hard on us older folks.

· Registered
173 Posts
I would not have treads less than 11" deep ever, just saying. I will measure and model treads at ~12" deep, maybe 11.5"

Short treads are the bane of the human body when going downstairs. Your knee pivot ends up way past your foot and it's hard on us older folks.
Treads can be long and cause you to take wide strides down the stairs. There are rise/run calculators that you can use to help you design the stairwell for your home.
How wide will your stairwell be and what is the height between floors? The width of your stairwell (bottom/top landing) plus your lift/elevator shaft width will take significant portion of your interior space.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OP Any reason you don't want to just go with hardwood treads matched to your lvp?
it won't match, and as posted above it looks worse if you try.
I may indeed go with hard maple or something, and use it as a point of contrast. This is hopefully a productive discussion on all the options, including tile. The wood look tile up thread looks nice too.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Treads can be long and cause you to take wide strides down the stairs. There are rise/run calculators that you can use to help you design the stairwell for your home.
How wide will your stairwell be and what is the height between floors? The width of your stairwell (bottom/top landing) plus your lift/elevator shaft width will take significant portion of your interior space.
The stairway is gross width of 42" as I have it drawn. I may make it narrower for safety.
There is 120" from floor to floor as planned. That is 17 rises of 7 1/16" . 16 runs as drawn, including landings. It is 12 run as drawn. I could shorten that a bit if the testing I have detailed below warrants it.

We do all sorts of tape measuring and stair climbing and descending to figure out what is better for us. The 7/11 is good, the 7/12 might be "gooder".
If I have to build 4 or 5 steps out of plywood to model something, I can and will. I have tons of old form ply that I got from a floating bridge job that owes me nothing and i can dice it up and toss it at any time.
Hopefully I can find these different pitches to try out.
I have walked on some seriously too short treads in my life. Not going to build that.

· Registered
173 Posts
The stairway is gross width of 42" as I have it drawn. I may make it narrower for safety.
There is 120" from floor to floor as planned. That is 17 rises of 7 1/16" . 16 runs as drawn, including landings. It is 12 run as drawn. I could shorten that a bit if the testing I have detailed below warrants it.

We do all sorts of tape measuring and stair climbing and descending to figure out what is better for us. The 7/11 is good, the 7/12 might be "gooder".
If I have to build 4 or 5 steps out of plywood to model something, I can and will. I have tons of old form ply that I got from a floating bridge job that owes me nothing and i can dice it up and toss it at any time.
Hopefully I can find these different pitches to try out.
I have walked on some seriously too short treads in my life. Not going to build that.
The width of my staircase in my house is approximately 38". That is enough for one person to go up or down comfortably while placing both hands on opposite handrails. Is there a minimum width for stairwells?

What will the total width of your landing be since it also includes the width of the lift in the center?

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
there are stairs behind that lift. two landings 42" square. Neal had posted up a picture of similar stairs and elevator shaft, just reversed.
The handrails would be about 37" apart. I think that would work OK. Too wide seems less safe.
Fixture Building Gas Engineering Machine

· Registered
173 Posts
Fixture Building Gas Machine Engineering

Oh my! The stairs in the example picture look like some type of glass material. That's not possible or allowable! The only way stairs can be made is with pine, oak, and carpet:rolleyes:

· Registered
7,728 Posts
Those would not be code compliant in the US, and I'm surprised they are in Canada. The nosing projection (.75-1.25") is a code requirement for treads less than 11" deep.
That is the exact language in the NY code. A licensed design professional (registered architect or professional engineer) would never design non compliant stairs. An accident could cost a professional license to practice. Maybe a so called unlicensed “stair designer” or decorator would.

· Registered
173 Posts
there are stairs behind that lift. two landings 42" square. Neal had posted up a picture of similar stairs and elevator shaft, just reversed.
The handrails would be about 37" apart. I think that would work OK. Too wide seems less safe.
Well, if you go with the wood and are concerned about it matching the flooring on the first and second floor, maybe try a contrast design pattern on unfinished treads. That would be more focused on someone painting, staining and finishing each tread with a specific design before you install them. Maybe a dark block color scheme to match the modern design you want.

· Registered
173 Posts
That is the exact language in the NY code. A licensed design professional (registered architect or professional engineer) would never design non compliant stairs. An accident could cost a professional license to practice. Maybe a so called unlicensed “stair designer” or decorator would.
Save it Old Thomas. When did Jar944_2 provide proof that he measured the treads in the example picture I provided? He doesn't know if the treads are the correct measurement to code for the U.S. or for Canada, he/she is just guessing and then posted a trifling response based on a guess. So basically you're saying the stairs passed inspection even though they "might not be" up to code? Stop reaching.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
and in this thread, there will NEVER be treads shorter than 11" Nope nope not ever. Not happening, no sir. This is a story about a man named Jed who will never make his stair treads shorter than my mondo size 12 foot :D

· Registered
173 Posts
:ROFLMAO:
Heavens no!
The only problem I see is no handrails, and that whole area looks to be made from Unobtanium.
I agree about the handrails, I peeped that as well and wouldn't mind knowing the reason behind it. I used to deal with a housing inspector on occasion and sometimes he would say "well this is required but will be negated if you have that" and it still meet regulations.

I have a banister on one side of my staircase and no rail on the other side. The inspector said it was fine so long as I had the banister railing and some other requirement that was satisfied. These were not corrupt inspectors either, they will fail a house in a heartbeat and put you out of business until the code is met.

· Registered
81 Posts
Save it Old Thomas. When did Jar944_2 provide proof that he measured the treads in the example picture I provided? He doesn't know if the treads are the correct measurement to code for the U.S. or for Canada, he/she is just guessing and then posted a trifling response based on a guess. So basically you're saying the stairs passed inspection even though they "might not be" up to code? Stop reaching.
Post a pic with a tape measure on the tile treads there. If they are over 11" I'll apologize for ruffling your feathers over a pinterest picture you keep defending for some reason.

Who said they passed inspection, people diy (and contractors) build code violations all the time. There are no inspections and no inspectors in those cases.

BTW those tiles in your pic (the floor tiles not the tread tiles) are 18x36" that should be enough of a point of reference for you.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts