DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stair tread materials

1081 Views 84 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  skyking1
We are going with LVP flooring and it is not suitable for the treads. Looking for tread and also the two landings, suggestions of a durable low maintenance solution.
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes, I think that is best for my wife. She won't be using these stairs, that is why the elevator shaft.
She has rheumatoid arthritis all over and anything I can do to give some cushion is good, but carpets and allergies are bad so no carpet and pad. We ripped out our carpets and put in the click down planks here and she is happy with that. It has that little bit of padding too.
I am leaning to old school hardwood treads and landings per @chandler48 , or tile per @splendorwhiz .
I have seen tile done that way too.
Either route will be a distinct accent and will not match the LVP throughout the house.

· Registered
12,008 Posts
Thanks I had not considered porcelain tiles. I could go with a wood look tile, or go stone. It is an accent opportunity!
I can't imagine tile being stable on stairs.
I have tiles on the stairs going down to my basement.

I had concerns about stability too. But I suppose if the substrate is sound, the tile will hold up. Just the same, I made sure the tile size was such that there would be a few grout lines in there. I was looking at one tile that was really beautiful, and could have gone across as one piece, but I didn't have the guts to put one big tile per tread. Basement has my shop, so I knew I would have some heavy machinery going down those stairs.

So far, so good.
Brown Furniture Wood Rectangle Beige

· retired framer
70,304 Posts
I have seen cork used as the hardwood floor from back in the 50s, I would not expect much cushioning from it.
Do they come glued together, they have a much different expansion rate?

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have tiles on the stairs going down to my basement.

I had concerns about stability too. But I suppose if the substrate is sound, the tile will hold up. Just the same, I made sure the tile size was such that there would be a few grout lines in there. I was looking at one tile that was really beautiful, and could have gone across as one piece, but I didn't have the guts to put one big tile per tread. Basement has my shop, so I new I would have some heavy machinery going down those stairs.

So far, so good.
View attachment 728073
Nice.
I have it really good on the new home. The interior stairs are just for people. I have access to the 2nd floor on another straight stairway to a 6' long landing, plus forklift access to the carport roof/sundeck.
The basement will have a wide door to an ADA sloped ramp. Nothing big or heavy needs to go down the interior stairs.

· Registered
7,728 Posts
We have oak floors so we used red oak treads and risers. Those tiled stairs (Post 20) are terrible, there is no nosing. No nosing makes stairs uncomfortable to traverse and it leads to more falls. A professional actually created that accident waiting to happen?

· Registered
174 Posts
We have oak floors so we used red oak treads and risers. Those tiled stairs (Post 20) are terrible, there is no nosing. No nosing makes stairs uncomfortable to traverse and it leads to more falls. A professional actually created that accident waiting to happen?
It's a licensed business based out of Canada so yes, a professional designed those stairs. Looks good to me.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Have these in a house where kids are coming in with wet feet. The subtle grain makes them not slippery. Have had no issue in the last 5 years at the beach house. Not cheap, but stable as hell and easy to install.

US floors is a good product.
It does pose some issues. I'd want to shim over my step structure to allow for hardwood in case I don't like it. Gotta keep the rises on schedule.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts