DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stair tread materials

1069 Views 84 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  skyking1
We are going with LVP flooring and it is not suitable for the treads. Looking for tread and also the two landings, suggestions of a durable low maintenance solution.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
It's easier to clean, carpet on stairs and landings gets dirty fast, smells, and it wears down quickly cause it to be replaced often. The tiles on the stairs can match the flooring of your lift/elevator. Painting them would be the cheapest option.

· Registered
9,006 Posts
For me , it would depend on the stairway's proximity to exterior doors. If there's a likelihood of people with wet or snowy shoes using the staircase, I'd avoid finished wood or ceramic tile, since they can get slippery.

I'd be looking strongly at the vinyl stair treads, in a contrasting color to the adjacent floors (unless you can find treads that are actually the same as your LVP. Getting something close looks like you tried to match it and failed.

· Registered
9,006 Posts
stairs are about 8' from that seldom used formal entry.
I was looking at this product for the tile showers, and it would work on the steps too.
Stone Grip non slip tile treatment.
Stone Grip - Non-Slip Tile Treatment

I am thinking a straight contrast move to the stone look tile.
Looks like that would work. Not sure how often the treatment would need to be reapplied, though, and I would be sure to get more info on the process to reapply it (does it have to be stripped, and if so, what's involved?) before I used it.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did read quite a bit about it. 2 years between applications.
As it relates to the stairs and landings, we like the look of the larger tiles but they are slick in our bathroom. The shower has the same tiles, saw cut smaller on a grid. That makes them very secure with all the edges and grout lines for traction. We have no slip issues till you walk out of the stall. I may try that product here and do a review.
The new house showers are getting big format tiles because we will go with a linear drain system.

· Naildriver
23,302 Posts
I can't imagine tile being stable on stairs. I prefer the full thickness of pine treads. I take extra treads, rip the bull nose off and biscuit them together to make landings, leaving one bull nose on the edge showing. Stain and latex poly seem to work pretty well, dry quickly and doesn't smell. One client had me apply a non slip clear coating on the treads. Seemed to work just fine.

· Registered
173 Posts
stairs are about 8' from that seldom used formal entry.
I was looking at this product for the tile showers, and it would work on the steps too.
Stone Grip non slip tile treatment.
Stone Grip - Non-Slip Tile Treatment

I am thinking a straight contrast move to the stone look tile.
The product has great reviews and is used across multiple industries so I don't see why not. I would sample an area first before full application. Using the stone grip for a pool area looks interesting.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't imagine tile being stable on stairs. I prefer the full thickness of pine treads. I take extra treads, rip the bull nose off and biscuit them together to make landings, leaving one bull nose on the edge showing. Stain and latex poly seem to work pretty well, dry quickly and doesn't smell. One client had me apply a non slip clear coating on the treads. Seemed to work just fine.

Pine is relatively soft. Why not start with a hardwood?

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, I get two turns and landings. Ignore the little arrow at the top, those are basement stairs going down.
The other thing I ponder is stair width. I have another outside staircase for large items, so these are just people stairs.
I have them sketched in at 42" gross before handrails. I like the idea of being able to pass, but also wonder if there is some inherent safety factor when you narrow them up so you can grab both handrails comfortably.
I don't want them so wide that I miss the safety boat there.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

1 - 20 of 85 Posts