DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to place a handrail on my basement staircase. On one side, the wall goes about half-way down before it ends and opens up to the room, so a handrail mounted here would end half-way down the stairs. The other side is solid from top to bottom of the staircase, but at the floor level of the upstairs, the upper portion of the wall is 2 3/4" inset from the lower portion of the wall, leaving a small shelf at the upper floor level. To mount a handrail, I'd need a 2 3/4" "S" bend at that point. The smallest offsets I've found are 5".

I'm pretty sure I need a continuous rail rather than two. I've been noodling on this for quite some time to no avail :wallbash: Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If using wood, On the shelf side, mount rail as normal for top half BUT cut a 45 in it with cut face out towards the room. Mount bottom half also with a 45 cut so that it faces the 45 of the upper. Then it is but a simple piece cut to fit between. When everything dry fits fine, pull the top rail off, use pl adhesive to mount the connecting piece followed by a finish head screw. Put that rail back. Then glue and screw the bottom to the connector.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.