DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am removing the stacked stone wall due to its move downward and causing the standing seam roof damage. It appears it is one wall from the first floor to the gable. When we do remove the stones from the second floor and gable it will push back the wall around 6 in. How best to handle this? Should I lay the hardie against the plywood/framing after the stones are removed or put in batton to extend out the wall to where the stones are now?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,390 Posts
Is it a stone veneer or an actual stone?

I wouldn't remove anything until you know what the actual problem is.

Can you post some pictures of the roof damage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is actual stone and not a veneer. The stone is sitting in the roof. I am having the standing seam roof replaced and all the companies said the stack stone roof needs to come down to do the flashing correctly. Quotes to put the stone back up are way too much.

If you zoom in on the top gable you can see the stone moved down and out about an inch. You will see an old paint line.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
The wall should be furred out so the louver is recessed and new siding is just under the rake boards. Maintain the plane. Use as wide flashing. I would bend 12" roll in half with edge crimp on roof side. Standing seam roof flashing was in the forum several times and it looks hard to flash over. Maybe consider something else. Similar metal cover but with flat seam? Lead cover with soldered joint? I think flashing there is important especially since that soffit seems to be protecting the wall below.
That was very expensive wall. Sorry to see it not work.
BTW, when soffit roofing is added, first add site built facia cover with big kickaway bend so least water touches stones below. Crimp the edge and maybe as much as one inch kickaway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts