DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys! Plumber recently did complete rough-in for two upstairs bathrooms and disabled the main stack, replacing it with new 1 1/2" pvc vents. I'd like to ask your opinion on this as I am no roofer. I really am itching to remove the stack completely, and am wondering about what it should cost to repair the roof if removed. Or maybe I'm just itching to cause a lot of trouble for myself.

Should I remove it (carefully, with cast iron sawzall blade and sledge hammer), or just have a roofer cap it off and close it up in the wall?

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
2nd photo seems to show a work in progress there the castiron pipe is being used. Confirm with plumber and if abandoned, it looks like you can cut the rubber hubless in the wall and remove the pipe from there? Angle grinder with metal blade can be easier to cut it into small pieces. Separating the castiron and pvc, blocking off pvc, then hitting with a 5lb hammer can also break the castiron.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Repairing the roof should not be real expensive. You should be able to apply a patch to the hole in the sheathing from the attic (glue a round piece of plywood sized to fit to a 1x 6 scrap and then glue that to the sheathing). Up to a few shingles will need to be replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts