DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a shower/tub that's been squeaking since we bought the house, it's highly irritating and I'm sure not good for the fiberglass tub - probably eventually something will crack.

From what I can see from below (just removed ceiling from 1st floor) is a 1 foot hole for the plumbing and it appears the tub is largely unsupported underneath - from the view I have, I can *see* nothing supporting it.

I watched the video a couple weeks ago where this gentleman installed a tub with expanding foam as a support method:
https://youtu.be/JSd8wqqAQnw?t=5m30s

I'm wondering folks if I could so something similar from underneath? The majority of the squeaking is from the low end of the tub, where I have some limited access. Removing the tub is not an option.

TIA,
-Jason

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I bave heard of guys using spray foam, but i prefer either mortar or structolite ( a kind of plaster). Problem is that those are usually installed before the tub and the tub squashes down into the wet mortar or structolite. I guess you could try shims under the tub and thwn trying to force mortar under the tub and then remove the shims but i think you would have very limited success.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.