DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble taking out the 2 step drop off my deck...
I am having trouble with the square head deck nails stripping out...when taking the steps off....
It's somewhat due to my old square head bits...and then the screw nails don't saw off easy either...my recipricating saw doesn't just go through them... Any suggestions???

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I had a similar problem with some stainless steel trim head square drive stainless steel screws. The driver that came with the bits did not fit perfectly. I got better results buying some insert bits at a big box store and using them in my screw gun, they worked quite well. Go figure.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
make sure the pockets in the screw heads are cleaned out. They have a slight taper to the hole so if there is dirt in the pocket, it won't allow the bit to fully engage and it is loose resulting in stripped heads.

also, if you don't have a good bit, buy a new one.

Then, when removing the screws, put all the pressure you can on your drill/driver (I have been known to basically hold myself up with my hands on the back of the driver). This is a case where an impact driver does a better job if you have one.

·
timthetoolman
58 Posts
Yup impact drivers work great for this... I love them. Run your drill at a lower speed. Keep good bits, it will prevent swearing at your project. Sounds like you could use torque bit screws in the future. look like this * a star pattern. I can't say I have ever been able to round the head out on a torque bit. Good luck... screw nails, you might be able to get out with a large pry bar.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yup impact drivers work great for this... I love them. Run your drill at a lower speed. Keep good bits, it will prevent swearing at your project. Sounds like you could use torque bit screws in the future. look like this * a star pattern. I can't say I have ever been able to round the head out on a torque bit. Good luck... screw nails, you might be able to get out with a large pry bar.
That's spelled TORX.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts