DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned on my Rain Bird to test. Back yard came on fine. Switched to front and some water leaked out but clearly the pressure was gone.
The only interesting thing that has happened was the deep freeze in January. To prevent a freeze off I messed around with the siphon pipes. Could that be the issue? Or should I look elsewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking the dribbly sprinklers were a solenoid or diaphragm issue, maybe cracked from the big freeze, I replaced both, in both zones. No change, dyill good in back, dribbles in the front.
I have a voltmeter but not sure how to check sprinklers. Actually IDK which valve is the front. Could use some help!
I'll post some pics,. One of the setup, including a dribbly sprinkler, the siphon bell(?)and the three access holes. Maybe someone here knows what I need to do next. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I you can loosen the solenoid and it will activate the zone. If it’s all good then you have a wiring issue. If still no pressure then it’s something else. With the freeze, it might be a cracked pipe.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can look at it tomorrow. IDK if I'm cheering for a pipe break or electrical problem!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turned the solenoid and the front sprinklers came on but still just the dribble. So it is not an electrical issue... Can I doublecheck this with a 12v battery touching the solenoid terminals? Should I also check the new diaphram I put in, maybe its not right.
The ffirst sprinkler head in this zone is only ten feet away (pic). A little water sprays out, but weakly. The rest of the zone sprinklers just leak or have nothing. Is this a clue to where the break or plug in the line is? What's a good way to locate the problem?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My guess would be the leak is after the first head. Put something heavy on the first head to keep it from coming up and then activate the zone. See if the 2nd head pops up. Continue down the zone and it may help find the leak. The solenoid is probably 24v AC. 12v battery is DC.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Seems to be a spontaneous break. The sprinkler pipe is resting on that green drain pipe, maybe that has something to do with it.
Cut out the break, and replace using what kind of coupler?
Or, (hope hope) can I find some clamp-on fitting, no cutting required.
Edit: Fixed! Used a "compression coupling" $3.50 and advice from the hardware store guy. Now all sprinklers are operating at 50%, there is one more leak, I hope!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts