DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I put Krylon Fusion black paint on PVC, worked like a charm. Satin finish was great and even. However, after a couple nicks and dings, some of the original color was showing at parts (really noticeable, the original was blue and the paint is black). I thought I could just touch it up with more paint at the points, but now there's some ugly wrinkling at some of the parts and ruining this nice satin finish. Should I sand and repaint? What went wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
yeah clean sand and repaint is the only way to fix it. Don't know about the wrinkling...Did you put it on to heavy?....Second coat too soon?....Did you clean it first before touching up? What the heck was it anyway?

·
Doer of Many Things
1,208 Posts
How long after the initial spray job did you do these touchups? Spray paint has certain windows of application due to the solvent involved. Generally you need to get all coats on within two to three hours so they bond into the previous coat. If you miss that window you have to wait two to three weeks before reapplying or the solvent causes the previous coat to lift and wrinkle. Fusion complicates things even more because it's Xzylene based product and behaves differently than many other spray paints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I applied it about two weeks after the first coat. If I sand and reapply, how will I be sure not to get this wrinkling all over again around the sanded areas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts