DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Demolition Mode
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey painting Pros,

I have some 16x20 picture frames. Some are Pine, Some are Oak, they are bare wood at this point. I would like to stain them Black and tried a test piece of pine with the Black Minwax Polyshades. I like the look of the stain and gloss but I do not like the brush marks. I can not get away from them no matter what type of brush i try to use... ie natural vs polyester bristles, etc..

I have some experience with spray guns and automotive finishes,

I do not see any instructions at all about spraying this stuff on the net, only that i can buy the rattle can version of it.

In the event i cant spray the POLYSHADES version, there must be a way to spray the Polyurethane I guess the main question is does it even need to be thinned?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Where did you buy it? Did you ask them if it could be sprayed and how to thin it? Do you think they would or should know the answers? I do. And if they don't, why would you give them your money in the first place if they have no ability to service the product they sell?

·
Demolition Mode
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Purchased at Big Box

bought it at a big box store... employee told me " i think it can be sprayed" lol i will call minwax and find out Thanks for your response

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Poly can be sprayed but needs thinned, not sure what thinning and spraying would do for the stain. To stain the conventional way, brush it on wipe it off, would leave no brush marks. Then spray the poly. To thin the Polyshades might dilute the color. Or try the rattle cans.

·
Demolition Mode
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... i am going to go back to the "wipe it on, wipe it off " then spray the polyurethane using conventional spray equipment. I called Minwax only to get a "we have no recommendations on spraying our product unless you purchase the spray can" I like the idea of one step, but haste is making waste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts