DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed a large built-in bookshelf from one of my LR walls. Behind the bookshelf was painted smoothwall, the rest of the wall is a heavy splat (not knock down) texture. I want to restore the wall to match the overall heavy texture in the room.

I have a hopper texture gun and compressor and some limited experience shooting texture. My question is do I have to scrape the old paint and texture off next to the smoothwall to get the whole wall panel smooth before I shoot? Or is it possible to feather sand the smooth/texture margin and blend in the texture when spraying? Never tried that before and don't want to attempt it if not possible to do a good job.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a photo you can post of the existing texture?

DM

·
General Contractor
84 Posts
It can be done, same as doing a patch in the middle of a wall.
I like to use a sanding sponge for the edges of the new mud. It helps get rid of the ridge that gets left since you aren't floating onto a flat surface. You'll likely be sanding some of the existing texture just around the "patch" in the process as well.....no biggie. Just be sure to get that ridge removed otherwise it'll show right through the new/blended texture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts