DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Anyone know why my spray paint turned out like this? These a legs of a chair I have.

• Didn’t clean properly (I cleaned with a household cleaner, they were clean to begin with)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn’t sand properly (the metal was showing a little I thought I did good)

• Product isn’t right (added the picture of the one I used)

• Didn’t add a clear coat (skipped this step - thought I could add a clear coat at the end)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Too close and too heavy of a coating at once.

Several light coatings with several minutes between each coating. No closer then 12 inches.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

PS Be sure to shake the can for one minute after you can hear the ball inside rattle before using. Shake every 30 seconds while spraying.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Yeah, looks like poor technique. Press the button a split second before you even get to the workpiece and release the button after you are completely off the piece. It wastes a little paint, but no way to avoid it. Several light coats. You have to build it up.

Could be lack of shaking, but I think that is less likely.

Could be a bad can of paint too. That happens a lot with spray cans.

·
Registered
landscaping, lawn maintenance, screen porch rebuild, bath and kitchen remodeling
92 Posts
never underestimate the amount of rattle can shaking you need to do....
I believe several minutes of shaking (after your hear the ball hit) is a good idea when using metallic paints.

the legs look metal, what material is the round object made from?

my suggestion to paint the metal legs metallic gold (how I would do it):
  • sand to remove drips (400 grit wet/dry)
  • wipe with alcohol, and hang the legs from the holes in the plate (vertically)
  • use a red metal primer to cover the legs first (multiple light coats to fully cover, not all at once). let dry and wet sand any drips or imperfections. repeat as needed with a thorough dry time between coats (always wipe down with alcohol between coats or after touching them)
  • paint gold using many light layers, painting lightly. Keep the can at least 12 inches away and not trying to cover the surface all at once... a dusting at first, rotate the legs as you go.
  • once covered, of you want to sand and paint again, it couldn't hurt...
  • Cover with clear gloss
take your time and good luck!
-jc

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I agree with PaulDay 100%.
It's technique. Trying to put on too much paint too fast, painting too close.
But not the paints fault. I have used Krylon and it is good paint if applied properly.
But Rustoleum spray paint is superior.

Sand it off or use a wire brush on a grinder to clean it up, prime it and start over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts