DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in SC and had our attic spray foamed. After the work was completed we had moisture in several of our skylight walls. After talking with the contractor they said they removed all the bat insulation from around the skylights. Today our outside temp. is 87 deg. the attic is 85 degrees and the house if 74 deg. House humidity is 46% outside is 65% and the attic is 66%. I am suggesting the condensation is due to not having the skylights insulated and the temp. rise in the attic is due to heat transfer from inside the house to the attic. I am looking for an opinion so I can solve this issue with the contractor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spray foam — skylights

We live in SC and had our attic spray foamed. After the work was completed we had moisture in several of our skylight walls. After talking with the contractor they said they removed all the bat insulation from around the skylights. Today our outside temp. is 87 deg. the attic is 85 degrees and the house if 74 deg. House humidity is 46% outside is 65% and the attic is 66%. I am suggesting the condensation is due to not having the skylights insulated and the temp. rise in the attic is due to heat transfer from inside the house to the attic. I am looking for an opinion so I can solve this issue with the contractor.
My questions: It’s unclear whether your attic floor was spray insulated or was it your roof underside? You state that your contractor removed the batts from skylight channels/tunnels? You mention they are now not insulated? Or did the contractor spray those skylight tunnels?
If s/he removed the insulation without querying you first and if they were left uninsulated after “completing“ the job IMO s/he’s got liability for has created a thermal imbalance. Depending on SC contracting regulations and law I suggest the contractor will respond appropriately to remedy the situation unless s/he’s a “Cowboy” as the Brits call a fly-by-night. Is the insulation contractor seasoned? Licensed? If your matter is now resolved what was the outcome? I’m a serial live-in-renovator not a GC but my late husband was a GC/residential developer for decades.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.