DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As if the spray foam industry didn't already have a dubious history with urea formaldahyde foam.
Spray foam ignition

Reactions: gma2rjc

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Interesting read. This is the first I've ever heard of the problem. Foam is still a very expensive process and I have not used it my self.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do plumbers and electricians hate this stuff from a remodeling stand point, you would have to open every wall you needed to go through, right.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Due to the combustible nature of the product, the new IBC requires all spray foam to be covered with a thermal barrier (gwb, plywood, etc.) even in attics and crawl spaces.

Josall, I don't like specifying the stuff for that reason. I can't imagine what it would cost to carve all this stuff out for some simple re-wiring.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Due to the combustible nature of the product, the new IBC requires all spray foam to be covered with a thermal barrier (gwb, plywood, etc.) even in attics and crawl spaces.

Josall, I don't like specifying the stuff for that reason. I can't imagine what it would cost to carve all this stuff out for some simple re-wiring.
This foam ignited during the application process.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yep, just wanted to FYI that tid-bit to further that foam is combustible before installation, during installation, and after installation.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
When I was spraying Foam It Green up into my soffits last fall, I could feel the heat coming off the foam as it was setting up. It wasn't an intense heat, but it was toasty warm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts