DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel, that up until this point, has been going pretty well. My old bathroom had one of those cheapo exhaust fan and light combos. The light part of it was kinda unnecessary because it was like 3 feet from my main light source and wasn't very bright. Since my shower area didn't have any light in it, I wanted to install a new exhaust (no light), then take the light wiring from the old "exhaust / light combo "and transfer them over to the shower area to install a can light over there. Since I have two switches in my bathroom, one for the light part and one for the exhaust part, I figured this shouldn't be too bad.

The wire going to the old exhaust / light combo was I believe 14-3 (red, black, white, ground). The red and black I believe are controlled each by different switches in by bathroom. These switches are both connected to the same breaker. I used the black wire for the exhaust and the red wire for the new shower light. I wired all of the neutral wires together and all the ground wires together. I know I did something wrong because neither the fan or the light power on now. See my basic wiring diagram in the attachment.

Any advice on what I did wrong? I am usually pretty handy when it comes to DIY things, but dont usually get too deep into electrical things. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
First thing I'd do is look for a tripped GFCI in the bathroom and try resetting it.

If that doesn't fix it time to get out a volt meter an check for voltage. Chase the circuit back until you find it. Problem will be usually be there or at the last dead spot that you checked. Occasionally, it will be in between.

Have you been hanging photos or driving nails ?

·
Super Moderator
16,920 Posts
Code:
Also, it us probably too late now but bathrooms where I am are wired using 12 wire (20 amp circuit) rather than 14wire

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
The code only requires the #12 for the receptacle circuit. Lights and fans can be on 15 amp circuits wired with #14.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.