DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using 2/0 aluminum to feed a barn. the 2/0 will not fit in the 100 amp breaker without cutting off 2-3 strands. what options do i have . I want this to be safe and be done correctly. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts
Thanks guys, If this was tapped good would it be ok to make the splice in the panel.
Yes. I would use the polaris, a little pricey, but taping not required.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents on this. I know what you're talking about with 2/0 not fitting the lugs for a 100A panel, I had to splice extra length into my feeder cable because of inspection issues leading me to have to route through conduit and move the panel such that the 1/0 feeder I had in place not fitting. I had 2/0 SE cable on hand which I had considered using, but I found that 1/0 was the largest that fit into the lugs.

So at any rate, I was between jobs so I needed to do this as low cost as possible. I did my splice with more 1/0 cable, but the same info would apply - I bought split-nut connectors at about $4 ea whereas I think the polaris connectors would've been $15. Multiply by 3 (I had a long enough ground conductor) and the difference seemed substantial.

What I had not taken into account was the taping. Rubber tape cost me $9 for a 10' roll and it took 2 rolls.

If you need to tape, 3M has a video of the taping procedure on youtube, search for split nut taping.

At any rate, my point is that the cost savings of split-nut connectors is still there, but probably not as much as it seems if you only look at the split nut vs polaris connector cost. And maybe others can comment as to the size of the mass of tape that you might be able to avoid having to fit into your panel vs. the presumably smaller polaris connector?

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
I can use the split bolt but really it will really eat up your time and somehow it will look like big blob of black tape ball { it can really take up alot of room espcally if you have 55mm² or larger cable ( 1/0AWG) }

I go thru alot of tape when I use the split bolt typically 1 to 4 rolls depending on size and voltage and how it connected { just leave very high voltage stuff out of this one I been there and done that so just don't ventre there it will knock your feet off if I comment on that }

And it will take a bit of time with tape compared to Polairs connector it will cut the time more than half of the time and leave the area cleaner.

I can justify the cost of polairs connectors due the amount of time I have to work on alot of conductors for me it save labour time.

I know Polairs connectors are not cheap but it worth it in long run.

You should see how we do very large conductor which they are more than twice larger than what you have the last one I just got done earlier this eveing that was a 240mm² { that is 500 KCM cable }

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
This is only an example of what you could use. They make similar adapters that will accept the 2/0 conductor.
The one in the picture is what it looks like. This one is designed to allow a larger conductor to be connected to a buss bar. It would not be listed for your application. Just a picture you can take with you while searching for the correct one.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
This is only an example of what you could use. They make similar adapters that will accept the 2/0 conductor.
The one in the picture is what it looks like. This one is designed to allow a larger conductor to be connected to a buss bar. It would not be listed for your application. Just a picture you can take with you while searching for the correct one.
They make pin lugs that will work.

·
Super Moderator
15,348 Posts
A 9 year old zombie

Reactions: J. V.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts