DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing 1/2" hardwood, 5" wide plank flooring over 3/4" OSB. The manufacturer recomends using "spiral ring shank nails" for nailing the tongue adjacent to the walls. (When the nailer won't fit). The heads on these things are much larger than a finish nail, it looks like it it might be tough to sink them and would get in the way of the tongue-to-groove connection. Are finish nails ok for this, or will they slip and squeak?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
There is a reason that the manufacturer recommends a spiral nail....and that is because it holds better than a finish nail. I JUST (well, maybe a couple of hours ago) used some of these in the 2 1/2" length to sock in place a set of fir treads for a basement. Go to a real lumberyard and peruse their selection. The ones that used had a head not much bigger than an 8d finish nail...and had a depression in the head for easy countersinking. Ron

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
Never once heard of that one.
Got a web site with the install directions?

Reactions: woodman58

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
I doubt a finish nail would ever squeak very long because if you start walking adjacent to the wall your wife will surely have you committed.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Never once heard of that one.
Got a web site with the install directions?
Website says to just bang them with your hammer and countersink. Easy to handle.

But I DID just walk all the way out to the garage to read the box, GripRite THS Screw Flooring 7d 2 1/4 inch (my bad on the 2 1/2")

Ron

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is the link to my manufacturers installation instructions...I'll have to check out the ones with smaller heads, the only ones I have seen won't fit in the small groove of this stuff. It's 1/2" thick. (Says "spiral roll shank nail" not "spiral ring shank nail")

http://www.builddirect.com/Hardwood-Flooring/Rustic-Merlot/Additional_6950_1864005_10090528.aspx

*Bonus Questions*...Due to the narrow groove, the splines I ordered don't fit. Any tips on making my own splines/slip tongues? Groove is less than 1/4" tall.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with joecaption. Never heard of this. Finish nails are all I have used in 30 yrs. If not using air nailer drill first.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I just measured the gap created by the two grooves butted together. (For spline). It is 1/8 x 3/8. I have a hard time seeing that small let alone making a cut. I might try planing/shaving the ones down that I bought - they are 1/4" x 1/2".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts