DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been poking through a few sites, and there's a mixed bag of opinions:

I'll be dry walling my basement in a few months; something I've never tackled before.

I know there are mold-resistant offerings out there, but some people say "stay away from greenboard". Should I be using standard drywall downstairs, or is mold tough the way to go?

· PE Mechanical Engineer
647 Posts
I would think that if you had any concern for moisture that mold-resistant would be the best option. I don't think green "green board" is available anymore, stuff I see is purple now. It works just like standard drywall, a bit more expensive, but not excessively so.

Before doing drywall, I'd devote some time and thought about ways to keep your basement dry first. Mold-resistant doesn't mean mold-proof. The mold-resistant wallboard is meant for bath areas where occasional moisture exposure can occur. If it is chronically damp down there you'll have mold no matter what color your drywall.

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder what the reason is that someone would say "stay away from greenboard."
Not sure. I saw a few forum posts (not necessarily here) saying to avoid it without any reasoning.

I would think that if you had any concern for moisture that mold-resistant would be the best option. I don't think green "green board" is available anymore, stuff I see is purple now. It works just like standard drywall, a bit more expensive, but not excessively so.

Before doing drywall, I'd devote some time and thought about ways to keep your basement dry first. Mold-resistant doesn't mean mold-proof. The mold-resistant wallboard is meant for bath areas where occasional moisture exposure can occur. If it is chronically damp down there you'll have mold no matter what color your drywall.
Moisture isn't a huge problem. It's damper than upstairs, of course, but there isn't condensation all over. I think it stays around 55% on the humidistat.

But, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

My real issue is finding 5/8" mold resistant board, for the ceilings.

· Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Here's what seems to be or what seemed to be the problem with GREEN board:

You are right to avoid the version called “green board,” which is treated with very high levels of toxic antimicrobial biocides and other chemicals.
It’s best to avoid any drywall that is treated with biocides.
The same low-toxicity profile and the caveats that apply to drywall also apply to “blue board,” a type of drywall that is made to be plastered. The paper on the blue board is treated with a detergent that creates a better bond with plaster veneers, and is generally safe for most people, with the exception of some extremely chemically sensitive individuals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.