DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am prepping a wall to paint it. Today I filled all of the dents & dings with spackle and now there are two textures on that wall - the original texture from the old paint being rolled on and now the spots of smooth texture where I sanded the spackle off.

What can I do to fix this? I'm pretty sure it's going to look bad after being primed and painted.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Barb

·
2,392 Posts
It sounds like you're anticipating a texture flash, where the patch area is smooth in contrast to the surrounding texture created by the roller previously. If you're not using a sheen finish, or you don't have strong sidelighting, you shouldn't have much problem, as flats generally don't reveal a texture contrast that obvious. Other than spot priming with a roller to add a bit of texture, don't use a brush or you'll make it worse, there's not much you can do. There was a bit of discussion about this topic in another thread, type texture flash into the search engine. It was fairly recent.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jsheridan. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use a flat paint because of the fingerprints and dirt from hands that gets on that section of wall. It's a small section next to the stairway and has to be washed fairly often.

During the day, when the front door is open, there is side lighting that shows imperfections. But I like the idea of using a roller to apply the primer. I'll use one for the paint too and maybe the flat spots won't be as apparent.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
565 Posts
if its small dings ,dents ,smaller than a quarter,i would just spot prime with finish paint with your brush:yes: .then roll finish paint ,i do this daily no problems. also if you dont look for the patches you wont see them:thumbup:.wow that's profound:huh:

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you're anticipating a texture flash, where the patch area is smooth in contrast to the surrounding texture created by the roller previously. If you're not using a sheen finish, or you don't have strong sidelighting, you shouldn't have much problem, as flats generally don't reveal a texture contrast that obvious. Other than spot priming with a roller to add a bit of texture, don't use a brush or you'll make it worse, there's not much you can do. There was a bit of discussion about this topic in another thread, type texture flash into the search engine. It was fairly recent.
Here is a link to the thread I believe you're talking about:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/walls-patchy-when-viewed-angle-19700/

·
Registered
318 Posts
At first I thought we were talking about a textured wall, if it is a smooth wall do your repairs sand smooth, spot prime and paint the wall.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You were right, there is a texture. It's from the paint being rolled on. It doesn't really stick out, but it's noticeable when there are smooth spots here and there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You were right, there is a texture. It's from the paint being rolled on. It doesn't really stick out, but it's noticeable when there are smooth spots here and there.

Thanks.
Prime with a roller like J suggested and after you are done painting the entire wall it should blend in fine. If you are really using spackle and not drywall mud I recommend priming your repairs twice, spackle tends to flash more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts