DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do some updating in my mom's house, and my dad had used spackle to make mock popcorn ceiling in ever. single. room.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it? I have tried sanding but it took an hour to get a 12x12" section done.

Just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I'll just be here sanding.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Spray water on it from a squirt bottle and let it soak in a bit then scrape it off with a putty knife. May take several applications of water.

·
retired painter
13,657 Posts
If the texture was painted it will be a LOT harder to dissolve with water. If so try to scrape it first and then mist with water. Sometimes it's easier/quicker to skim coat.

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
Post a pic if you can. Let's make sure we're on the same page. Popcorn and "spackle,"which, I assume you meant to say joint compound, are two different things. Popcorn generally comes in its own dry-mix bag of powdered joint compound and the plastic pellets that make the "popcorn." A hopper gun is used to "shoot" the watered up mix onto the ceiling with a compressor. "Spackle" or, to me, joint compound texture, is watered down and rolled onto ceilings and stomped or "antiqued" to create patterns on the ceiling. Below is an example of a popcorn ceiling.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spray water on it from a squirt bottle and let it soak in a bit then scrape it off with a putty knife. May take several applications of water.
i had such a ceiling and washed it a few times because it holds more dust than a flat ceiling

after a few washings (at different times) with a sponge mop: only a few areas became dis-associated

it may depend on the "brand" and maker of the material used

·
Registered
8 Posts
i mean to say after a few washings only a minimal ammount had come off - just enough to be annoying.

(what i mean is, you don't want to waste your valuable time. if it takes a day of careful labor wetting and "scraping" (and allot of cleanup): you should consider part of the total cost and consider your cost alternatives)

i'm choosing a 2nd layer of drywall. i have holes from a few bad posts i removed (time taken to patch, and would need blocking to). the old ceiling was installed badly (never taped at joints, begining to bow).

a 2nd layer will not only look professional: it will give more insulation value and sound barrier, at a loss of just a 1/2" or 1.5"

You should consider using "furring" if the old ceiling has none. It would make the job a breeze.

SUMMARY: consider the complete job before you spend a day doing that

you COULD waste your day scrubbing the ceiling: scrubbing and scraping can

* also dissolve the paper facing of the drywall. scratch that: your in trouble

* dissolve any areas of "mud" that were used to make the ceiling appear flat: JUST and EXACTLY as easily as dissolving the "pop junk". scrap that and YOUR DONE - you'll need a pro job of mudding - and hope your paper face isn't all torn up

* USE TOO MUCH WATER - the ceiling COULD FALL ON YOU. drywall doesn't like water. careful how much water you use.

and etc.

be careful and have fun :)

·
Drywall and Painting Pro
985 Posts
I'm trying to do some updating in my mom's house, and my dad had used spackle to make mock popcorn ceiling in ever. single. room.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it? I have tried sanding but it took an hour to get a 12x12" section done.

Just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I'll just be here sanding.
Skim coating over that texture could be an option. :thumbsup:

·
retired painter
13,657 Posts
i had such a ceiling and washed it a few times because it holds more dust than a flat ceiling

after a few washings (at different times) with a sponge mop: only a few areas became dis-associated

it may depend on the "brand" and maker of the material used
While there are materials that aren't water soluble the odds are very slim they were used for texture. All texture should be painted although many skip that step. Most unpainted texture is water soluble.

It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to determine if misting/scraping the texture will be a simple job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.