DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick question-

I currently have a 12-2 gauge three wire (black, white and copper) running from the basement to the air handler up in the attic.

The Air handler calls for a 208-230/60/1 power supply.

The high voltage block on the air handler has an L1, L2, N and a grounding lug on it.

Question:
How do I connect the wire at the CB panel and the air handler?

Here is what I was thinking....

At the panel: Get a 20 Amp double pole CB and connect the BLACK and WHITE lines to the CB and the copper ground to the nuetral bus bar at the CB panel.

At the air handler: connect the black wire feed to the L1 terminal, the white wire to the L2 terminal, and the copper to grounding Lug.

Does this sound right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ground wire in the 12-2 at the panel end goes to the neutral/ground bar if its your main panel/disconnect. If it is a subpanel it goes to the ground bar. The rest you have correct. You didnt mention the amperage of the air handler but as long as you have it on a 20A breaker you are good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Another question: since I have 12-2 wire which is running 240V (both black and white are hot)...is there a way to put a 110v receptacle prior to the air handler in order to plug in a condensate pump?

Im thinking no...since I dont have a white wire running to a nuetral bus bar with the 12-2 wire that Im using. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Another question: since I have 12-2 wire which is running 240V (both black and white are hot)...is there a way to put a 110v receptacle prior to the air handler in order to plug in a condensate pump?

Im thinking no...since I dont have a white wire running to a nuetral bus bar with the 12-2 wire that Im using. Thoughts?
You are correct, you cannot add an outlet on this line. You will need to run additional wire to connect the outlet. You can try and use the existing wire to pull through new wire, if you do pull some 12/3 so you can get your 240 volt connection, and a neutral to run an outlet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts