DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having an ant issue that has to do with our flooring. They are coming in through a crack between the patio door and where the tile grout ends (see photo). Should we fill this floor crack with something - or could that ruin the tile if it gets too cold and expands? I don't want to ruin the flooring because I love the tile - so I wasn't sure if it would be best to just keep it as is (and just put poison out when needed) so the flooring isn't damaged when it expands or contracts with weather changes. Or...if it would be OK for the floor to fill it with some kind of caulk - or something else??? Thanks in advance for your ideas and expertise - I appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks like ceramic tile, shouldn't expand and contract. I would get some colored caulking and tool it into that gap, be sure to clean as you go. Even if the wood there expands and contracts the caulking will be ok, it's such a small gap.

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
#1 That area never should have been grouted!
Any real tile person would have known that.
It should have been color matching caulking.
Anytime tile changes direction or meets a different material it needs caulking, not grout.
Now as far as the ants, use Terro on the inside.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=terro&&adid=22222222224315202194&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=p&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10386348609&wl4=kwd-64007015814:loc-190&wl5=50209&wl6=&wl7={loc_interest_ms%20}&wl14=Terro%20ant%20killer&veh=sem&msclkid=f5ce63199c5010bd5f1139f7ddbdc571
People panic when the next day they see hundreds of ants the next day, that's a good thing.
There bringing it back to the queen to eat, once she's dead the colony dies out.

·
retired framer
60,073 Posts
Thank you so much everyone - I appreciate it! I'll be getting some caulk this week I guess! :smile:
I don't like insects in the structure. Water can get anywhere they can. The bottom of the door should have been caulked.
If that is a removable trim at the floor, remove it inspect for any damage caulk the floor and window and replace trim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.