DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a quick question to help satisfy my need to know "why".
I am installing a 60amp/ 240v spa. The run will consist of approximately 35' through an unfinished basement, through exterior wall, to the disconnect, from there it is approximately another 25' run under the deck prior to entering the spa itself.
My question here is why the spa manufacturer requires a full size ground when A 60 amp subpanel only requires a #10 ground with #6 conductors?
If the 60 amp feeder breaker was installed in the main panel then it would be possible to have a full size ground run continuously from the spa panel to the disconnect to the main panel.
However, if the 60 amp feeder breaker was installed in a sub panel then the full size ground would be impossible since it could only go to the sub panel before switching over to the #10 wire.

·
Licensed electrician
13,406 Posts
I wish I knew why the manufacturers feel the need to spec a full size ground much larger than the NEC requires.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
I don't know the answer to your specific question, however, you should be good running a full sized ground from the disco (assuming it has a GFI breaker or fuses) and running the #10 from the main panel to the disco.

If you look at the definitions in the NEC, the conductors from the main panel to the disco would be considered feeders, not a branch circuit. The spas specs speaking of a branch circuit.

·
I am
458 Posts
Not certain.
But if at the spa was a disconnect or gfci disconnect with no over current protection feed would be a circuit

And if feeder or circuit they are saying 6.

Or are they ?

Are they asking for a six awg or a full size ?

A full size could be and is the 10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts