DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an office which has dropped ceilings with 2x2 ceiling tiles. The sound problem is so bad that when someone talks in one room you can hear them 2 rooms down like it's a cubicle. My walls go up to the dropped ceiling and stop. I'm thinking that the best solution would be to have an actual ceiling installed instead of the dropped ceiling, and then all the wires and pipes running through the ceiling will be accessible through an attic/crawl space instead of by pushing up the ceiling tiles. I spoke with an engineer and he said he would just use batt insulation over the ceiling tiles. But I'm concerned then it will no longer be possible to push up the ceiling tiles to get to all the pipes and wires. I see they sell sound resistant ceiling tiles like this (http://www.asistorefront.com/p-276-melamine-foam-acoustical-ceiling-tiles-contour-grid-install.aspx) but I don't know if the results justify the huge price. Any advice?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Have you consulted an actual accoustical engineer or architect specializing in such things? I would start there before second guessing what might work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I renovated a 300 seat pub in a hotel with rooms above the drop ceiling. Code required us to install FireGuard Cieling tiles (2'x4'). We also added 5/8" FireGuard drywall panels (2x4') ontop of those and acoustic insulation. The only sound transfer was low frequency when a band was playing in the pub. The noise was tolerable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts