DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on this.

I own an older triplex in Toronto. I live on the top floor and am redoing the floors to improve both the look and reduce noise from my tenant.

I have already ripped up the subfloor and put two layers of Roxul Safe n Sound between the joists. I have installed 5/8" plywood over the joists now. This helped some but I want more improvement.

I would prefer to install hardwood as the finished floor. But I would be fine with engineered wood as well.

I have spoken to a local soundproofing retailer and the suggestion was to have 2 layers of underlay (one for impact noise and the other MLV). He also suggested I use an engineered wood as putting nails through the underlayment will reduce or eliminate the improvement gained. He suggested gluing the engineered wood down to give a more solid feel.

Any suggestions on the best way to reduce the sound coming through the floor would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It helped.

For reference when I started the project the floor consisted of.

Berber carpet over an underpad. Then there was a layer of old strip hardwood and then the 5/8" planks that were the old subfloor. I removed all of that.

With the Roxul and the plywood I would say there is already a slight improvement in sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts