DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would be grateful for some help. i need to soundproof a floor prior to a rug installation. i need to reduce the sound coming up from the tenant below. this is a 2 floor building with old funky construction. the lower unit was designed for storage with low ceilings and has been converted into a living space. the ceiling is too low in the lower unit to add sheet rock or a secondary ceiling. i was wondering if there is some material to lay on the upper unit floor to reduce sound coming up. the sound is mostly voices , tv and refrigerator hum coming through. Wall to wall carpet will be installed after the sound proofing thank you for your assistance, desert °

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello, I would be grateful for some help. i need to soundproof a floor prior to a rug installation. i need to reduce the sound coming up from the tenant below. this is a 2 floor building with old funky construction. the lower unit was designed for storage with low ceilings and has been converted into a living space. the ceiling is too low in the lower unit to add sheet rock or a secondary ceiling. i was wondering if there is some material to lay on the upper unit floor to reduce sound coming up. the sound is mostly voices , tv and refrigerator hum coming through. Wall to wall carpet will be installed after the sound proofing thank you for your assistance, desert °
this situation is exactly what I'm dealing with. plan to lay down a product then carpet on top of it. can't remember what it's called but you can search on "google". don't forget, "cork" is pretty good for soundproofing too (or so I'm told)

tnx,

·
Registered
37,440 Posts
Google sound proof floors and lots of idea come up.
Cork is one of the ideas that came up, but it's expencive.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
A cork underlay would be my suggestion but shop around as it can be pricey for decent stuff thick enough to do any good. Looked just for fun and found this place with 1/2" (which would actually do some good if it didn't raise your floor too high with carpet pad and carpet over it?) for $1.49/sf.

http://www.widgetco.com/cork-underlayment?gclid=COuy7eSU_K0CFS6FQAod8jcetQ

I assume the ceiling downstairs is open joists or something? Can you fit some sound baffle material between them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts