DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've doing some redecoration and had to remove the lightning fixture so I could paint the ceiling. I even had enough foresight to take pictures of the wiring before disassembling it. :vs_bulb:unfortunately when trying to put it back I can't put the wires back into the slots of this small thing with lots of screws. There are 2 brown wires 2 wires in green and yellow tube and 2 blue wires and when I screw one pair in the slot the others would come out from another no matter how hard I'll screw them the minute I touch them. My neck hurts from staring up and I'm so frustrated! I've spent 2 hours already! :vs_mad: ANy ideas how I can fix them so they don't come out? :vs_worry:

Here's the picture if it helps

Attachments

·
Naildriver
10,792 Posts
Your profile doesn't say where you are located, so we can't assume this is covered by the NEC in the USA. You need a round or octagonal box mounted in a hole in the ceiling to allow for the wires to enter and give you enough space to make a pigtail of the wires, so you will only have one wire entering the screw block. It is a little more involved than just cutting a hole, but that is the best solution. If you decide to do it, let us know and we can walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've doing some redecoration and had to remove the lightning fixture so I could paint the ceiling. I even had enough foresight to take pictures of the wiring before disassembling it. :vs_bulb:unfortunately when trying to put it back I can't put the wires back into the slots of this small thing with lots of screws. There are 2 brown wires 2 wires in green and yellow tube and 2 blue wires and when I screw one pair in the slot the others would come out from another no matter how hard I'll screw them the minute I touch them. My neck hurts from staring up and I'm so frustrated! I've spent 2 hours already! :vs_mad: ANy ideas how I can fix them so they don't come out? :vs_worry:
As you are in the UK, I suggest that you should post any such future questions at the UK site https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/electrics/

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,969 Posts
Unless those are low voltage wires, I would be surprised if that is a compliant install in the UK. Seems to me it needs an electrical box.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Unless those are low voltage wires, I would be surprised if that is a compliant install in the UK. Seems to me it needs an electrical box.
In the UK, an "electrical box" in this situation is unnecessary.

See http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ceilingrose.htm
AND

While a "Ceiling Rose" is often preferred, other methods are acceptable - for "ceiling lights,

as was the case for priscilladiy.

All that is necessary is for the "Rose" (or bracket) to be firmly affixed to a ceiling joist (or timber connected firmly between two joists) and for the wiring to come down the side of the joist/timber, through the ceiling plaster and into the "Rose" for connection - or where it will be covered by whatever ceiling fitting is used.

https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/maes...6a-230v-5kg-fittings-detacheable#.WWLOmBV9670
are an excellent idea if you have a fitting that needs to be cleaned at times.
The base is internally (under the cover) a British "Ceiling Rose" and the fitting "plugs-in" in a tapered V shaped slot (so that the V shape takes the load). The fitting can be easily unplugged for cleaning and replaced without touching the electrical connections.

To quote Shakespeare: -
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. "

1 - 6 of 6 Posts