DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm brand new to this forum, so if I've posted this in the wrong place, I apologize. I searched through the threads and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'll lay out the problem here.

The title of my thread pretty much says it all. I walked into the bathroom last night to find my four year old son putting toilet paper in the back tank. As if that wasn't already bad enough, he also tried to flush the thing a few times. Needless to say, the toilet will not function properly now. The tank fills, but won't drain when flushed. It drains very slowly as it sits. Also, the flapper won't close, probably due to the fact that there is no suction to hold it down.

I'm pretty handy around the house, but I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings of a toilet to figure this out. I imagine the drain holes under the toilet rim are probably clogged, but I have no idea how to begin to fix this. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Have you fished out any visible pieces of TP out of the tank and bowl?

You can try using a plunger to loosen up anything that may be clogging the works.

But you might just let it sit for a few days (assuming you have any other bathroom in the house.) Water will eventually dissolve or disintegrate most standard toilet paper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I got everything I could see out of the tank. Using the plunger did loosen things up a bit (water drained a LITTLE BIT faster from tank). Like you said, I'm hoping once it sits a while some of the worst of it will clear out. I was thinking about pouring some hot water down the drain opening in the tank. I've heard hot water speeds up the breakdown process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I figured a tank removal might be in my near future. It's probably all clogged up right there beneath where the water flows out of the tank and into the bowl. I'll still have to figure out a way to get the drain holes beneath the seat rim unclogged. I can tell they're all plugged up too. I know it seems like a simple issue, but I'm way out of my element here (not much of a plumber. More of an electrical/carpentry guy).

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
With these test of only approximately of 15 minutes the 23 % acid looks more promising than bleach. Both were straight from the bottle and not diluted. Not pictured is a water test that appeared to be about equal to bleach.

I'd like to not say this but to salvage the toilet it may need to be removed and inverted up on blocks with a garden hose back flushing the rim holes and the siphon jet if applicable. Even with these measures there are no guarantees of course. After all, this is plumbing, but the 4 year old that had so much fun, may some day become an engineer that improves the John that's long over due for improvement. If his testing took about a half roll or more, a new toilet may even be in order but it isn't his fault he is inquisitive and the toilet was made so handy for experiments.:smile:Can you tell it isn't my toilet and I'm on the 4 year old's side.:biggrin2:

I've used a coping saw blade ( retainer pin end clipped off ) to clean rim holes of hard water build up but never toilet paper.

EDIT: between my server, paint .net and possibly the forum things are really screwed up and I don't know how to go back and change the first pic that didn't post as I had intended. OH WELL, my toilets all work and there was a 4 year old in the house recently. Anyway, the top pic is the acid test with the second being the bleach test.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SeniorSitizen, that's a lot of good info. Sure hope I don't have to go the aggressive rout like you described, but I guess anything is better than shelling out for a new one right before Christmas. And Bret, good idea on the Drano. I actually think I have some under the kitchen sink. Thanks for the replies. Lots of options is a good thing.

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
You could try Drain-o. Empty out the top tank and pour it directly into the hole at bottom so you don't mess up the equipment inside the tank.
Only thing I have to add to this is that I have had much better results with the crystals, rather than liquid.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
The not so fun option. Two feet of #12 solid copper wire. Rubber gloves.
From inside the bowel push the wire up each jet hole. If it is only TP, it should push back up easily.

·
Usually Confused
7,968 Posts
I usually use either a straightened heavy duty paper clip or a short length of mechanics wire. On many toilets a lot of the holes are cast at an angle to improve flushing actions. You're working a bit blind so a small mirror might help.

I like the idea of drain cleaner to speed things up a little bit. You could try sealing off the holes to get the water to lay in the rim channel but I'm not sure if you could anything to stick.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Mojams, as a side note, you should consider ways to "childproof" your bathroom, to prevent such events and possibly worse if he gets into any cleaners or whatever you may have stored in your bathroom sink cabinet or closet, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts