DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
master of none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm buying my first house and I have a question for all of you sparkies.

On one wall in my kitchen, somebody has gone and stuck a small screw in the "ground" hole in every electrical outlet, and then painted over them.
It's not an old house, its only about 10 years old.

Not sure why anybody would ever do that.

Any takers?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Probably because there is not a good ground connection present ... I'd check for the presence of an equipment grounding conductor before proceeding further.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yup, sounds like there is not ground - and the screws were someone's way of thinking they were dealing with it... :no:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Ground hole? The threaded hole inside on the back of the box? That's where the grounding jumper goes if you have a metal box. If the boxes are plastic, the grounds get connected together and one lands on the receptacle ground terminal. I am not certain I understood your question.

·
Super Moderator
15,299 Posts
Sounds like someone did this to make a three hole receptacle a two hole receptacle.

·
master of none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ground hole? The threaded hole inside on the back of the box? That's where the grounding jumper goes if you have a metal box. If the boxes are plastic, the grounds get connected together and one lands on the receptacle ground terminal. I am not certain I understood your question.
Sorry. I am referring to the third, lowest hole on the face of the receptacle - the "ground hole".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts