DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new poster to this site, however had frequented several times looking for answers to questions. I would appreciate peoples opinions on my roofing questions.

We have a gable roof, approx 26 square, 4/12 pitch and around 940 sq ft. Blown in insualtion now, and we want to add additional. Currently have soffit vents (old style 4 x 12) in a plywood soffit, but we are planning on changing to aluminum soffit and facia. We have vented soffit material and we are wondering about adding a powered attic fan. Currently we have three - approx 12" square vents installed about 2' down from the ridge, but no ridge venting or gable vents. We do plan to carefully check the soffit venting when we insulate to make sure they are clearly open once the new insualation is blown in.

Main question is should we invest in an attic fan (neighbor has one and swears by it) or would we be better off to change the current venting when we change the shingles. Another neighbor has the turbine style vents (ranch house with gable roof, like ours) and he likes those better than the 'plastic' vents we currently have.

Would appreciate anybody's thoughts !! Thanks.

The Landscaper
Charles City, IA

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 1000 sq ft home, 4-12 pitch gable roof.. sounds familiar eh?

Up until 3 yrs ago we had aluminum soffits as our only vents. When we put a new roof on we had two turbine vents installed and those suckers are always spinning.

I like 'em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts