DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently had some vinyl plank flooring installed and am noticing peaking in several spots.

Are there any solutions for fixing this problem? I've heard that applying some heat from heat gun and using a rubber mallet can help. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

- H

·
Naildriver
17,040 Posts
Do you know if a 100# roller was used when it was installed. It is imperative that it is used to make sure the adhesion of all the surfaces is made complete.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If it was recently installed and that is happening. Expect to have to redo the job within a year.

Could be a few reasons. Roller would have helped, but should not be doing that already.
Others reasons
dust got on the glue strips, if glue strip type has to be a dustless environment.

Was the flooring acclimation long enough before install. One of most common reasons.

Heat and a roller or rubber mallet can reactivate the glue and may help some. But will not make up for the reasons above.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure on the roller that was used, but will check.

When you say redo the job, is that a full tear-out and replacement? Is that typically under a warranty through the manufacturer?

Are there any other solutions that won't require a full replacement? Will any of this improve as we get into the winter and things start to contract?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not sure on the roller that was used, but will check.

When you say redo the job, is that a full tear-out and replacement? Is that typically under a warranty through the manufacturer?

Are there any other solutions that won't require a full replacement? Will any of this improve as we get into the winter and things start to contract?
Yes you may end up with a full tear out. Could have been a bad batch but more likely an installation problem.

Also did you leave an expansion gap along the walls.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Also you never said what brand. Or if it is glue strips, full glue down or click together.

No expansion joint on one or two walls could also explain buckling on the short ends.

Also Allure makes a repair tape fix a bad adhesive strip.Would be worth trying after you check expansion joint.

·
Naildriver
17,040 Posts
If it is click lock, then forget what I said about the roller. Without all the information, I was thinking glue strip vinyl planks, like Allure. Is it being installed on concrete or a wood substrate? If concrete, is it dry? There should be no reason for any of it to curl except for water infiltration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.