DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we bought our house I didn't think ahead. I knew I would never sit and use this space for makeup. Instead we put a plastic 3 drawer piece in. When taking out the old grout I noticed the base tile has cracked and I'm assuming it's because the plastic drawer frame may have been kicked by one of my boys which in turn caused the tile to crack.

I'm tired of looking at the ugly plastic drawers even though it's mostly hidden by hand towels since we put the rod in. My question is it's only 28" wide. I do have a 30" oak base cabinet (although the ones in are maple). Can I cut the 30" down to fit in the space. I will eventually paint all the cabinets and get new drawer fronts and doors so it "looks" the same. Also once painted do you think someone will easily tell that the face frames are 2 different woods?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The space in the picture looks poorly designed and the likelihood of successfully down sizing the cabinet is, unlikely.
If you want to fill in a cabinet, I'd get the correct size for the opening and the setup.
If the unit is too wide, you could have door or drawer opening conflicts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron. I have checked with my neighbors and no one knows who the manufacturer is. It's 28" wide and I haven't been able to find a cabinet that will fit.

Maybe some women like having the lower space to put makeup on but I prefer storage.

·
A door a day is all I ask
103 Posts
Agreeing with Ron:
A local cabinet maker could build you something that would fit in there
and stain up at least close to what you have. Have them incorporate some
kind of pull out shelf or drawers to make space usage easy.
Best of luck!
RC/DG

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Thanks Ron. I have checked with my neighbors and no one knows who the manufacturer is. It's 28" wide and I haven't been able to find a cabinet that will fit.

Maybe some women like having the lower space to put makeup on but I prefer storage.
You can do this a few ways. Get a cabinet from somewhere that's a close style match to the one you have. Then paint all the cabinets.
You can get a completely different cabinet style and paint the two catagories differently. This is typically done in kitchens with an island.
Or you can replace the whole setup with new cabinets so they perfectly match. This also gives you the opportunity to fix the layout.
The only way you'll get a 28" cabinet is to custom make it. Standard unit come in 3" intervals, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, etc. You would get a 24" and filler strips for each side.

Reactions: klmeenan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts