DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some ideas on finishing an 7" gap i purposely left from floor to edge of rock for accessibility to steam return pipe in my basement project. My line of thought was to just nail 8" molding into the frame in case i had to get to the return pipe for some reason in the future (my idea was it's easier to just remove the molding rather than breaking through rock and have to repair). The problem now is, i can't find any molding that wide (I know should've checked before going through with plan). I attached a picture of the area in question. My current idea is to get 1x8 boards, rout the top edge and use my finishing nailer to nail it to the frame, but wanted to get a consensus from the pros.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Why not?
Last month I was horrified by the price of molding, so I made my own. Naturally it helps if you are willing to use a simple profile.

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
No way would I have done it that way but what's done is done.
Main reason is air leaks.
Going to have to add 1/2 shims to all the studs now, insulate those pipes before covering or they may cause condinsation.
Add your 1 X 8's then use base cap moulding.
http://www.tiloindustries.com/profiles/base_cap_profiles.html
Install your 1 X 8's
I would perprime and paint the trim on all sides.
No insulation or vaper barrier behind that sheetrock?

Reactions: GeorgeNS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Joe, in hindsight I definitely should've gone a different route and there's definitely cold air flowing from that area most likely due to the concrete basement wall that's exposed. I just didn't want to go through the nightmare of tearing up the sheet rock and redoing if Murphy came around and I needed to get to the return pipe. Also, the pipe get's pretty hot when the boiler is running and was thinking it would double as a heating source for that small room (the actual steam pipe is in the soffit above and has a section with radiator fins to actually heat up the room as well). I'll post some pics once the Mcguyver fix is done. You live and learn right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts